Sunday, 3 February 2013

How to clean your makeup brushes - without breaking the bank!

Your meant to clean your makeup brushes every time you use them but serious who has the time/can be bothered to do that - I hold my hands up!!! Cleaning your makeup brushes is a lengthy task but it NEEDS to be done. Think about it, you have a spot, you put your foundation on with your makeup brush, now the bacteria from that little friend of yours is on your makeup brush, the next time you come to use it BAM you've gone and put the bacteria all over your face cos you didn't wash it! So please clean your makeup brushes, even if its just once a week, it's better than nothing! 

I personally don't like paying for posh brush cleaners, whats the point?! the whole point in washing your brushes is to get rid of bacteria and all that lovely stuff! I see a lot of people using baby shampoo, which yes is good for your brushes, it isn't going to ruin them but it also isn't going to clean them! There is a difference between them looking clean and actually being clean so with out further a do this is how I clean my makeup brushes...




Yes that is Extra Virgin Olive Oil and hand soap! Both out of the my bathroom (I also use Olive Oil on my face but that's another blog post) So like I said you don't need to break the bank, both of these products are cheap as chips and have other uses so you get your money's worth. I use any ANTI BACTERIA hand soap, this cleans the brushes properly, it kills all the bacteria on your brushes and cleans them and makes them look shiny and new again. I use the Olive Oil for two things, Olive Oil breaks down oil, so this will break down all the makeup on your brushes making sure every bit of makeup is removed. It also adds moisture back into your brushes so for everyone too scared to ruin their brushes with a hand wash then don't worry, the olive oil moisturises the brush hair as well as helping to clean it. Converted yet? I honestly find this way of cleaning my makeup brushes the best, they look and feel like new and I know all the nasty stuff has gone because of the hand wash! So here's what I do...



1. Pour some hand wash onto a plate then add some Olive Oil, don't use to much Olive Oil or you'll be there forever rinsing your brushes, only a small amount will do! 

2. As you can see get your dirty brush and dip it into the hand wash and Olive Oil. Don't be scared of using to much, more is better! 



3. Once you have your brush covered in the Olive Oil and hand wash add a little warm water and like your washing your hair lather it up, keep adding more water and keep rubbing it on your hand, I like to make the shape 8 on my hand with the brush so I know every side of the brush is getting cleaned. Always wash your brush the the bristles facing down, you don't want water getting into the brush handle, this will ruin your brush! 

4. As you can see you will see all the makeup coming out of the brush, keep going until the water runs clear. Once you can't see anymore makeup you could either carry on rinsing the brush so all the soap is out or repeat the first few steps to get it extra clean! 




Now you need to lay them out to dry, I normally leave them other night! Your brushes need to air dry so as you can see in the picture I get a towel and role the ends so when I lay my brush it is at an angle, this prevents any water from getting into the handle. I also lay them over an edge so they can dry back into there original shape, if you lay them flat on a surface they'll dry with one side flat.






All lovely and clean!! 






So that's how I clean my brushes :) I hope this helps some of you either save some pennies or save your skin, and remember try your best to do it at least once a week. 




16 comments:

  1. Hi! I have just discovered you blog and it's amazing, I love you post on your favourite lipstick and this post is a great idea to effectively clean brushes. I'm your newest member!

    It would mean the world if you checked out my new beauty blog, and if you liked it I would hugely appreciate if you became a member.

    I can't wait for your future posts!
    Hazel X
    http://whichhazel05.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your post :)
    going to follow you check my blog to www.lisasbeautycorner.blogspot.ca if you like feel free to follow me
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the blog and wow what a great range of brushes you have! I'm looking forward to the day I have built up my full range of brushes! (not that I am sure I will ever want to stop buying them lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I have all these yet feel the need to buy more. The life of beauty lovers eh :)

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post! Definately going to do this instead of using baby shampoo. Thank you for this post! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use the baby shampoo instead of the olive oil since you have it, I just like the hand wash to kill all the horrid stuff! xx

      Delete
    2. Great tip! Never even thought of all the horridness, thought the shampoo would do the job. Now I know different, I will be making a change! Thank you x

      Delete
  5. great tips! i currently use MAC's brush cleaner but i'm nearly out and it's waaay too expensive to repurchase.

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so useful and I have been doing it all wrong! That's when I do it at all...of to wash my makeup brushes now haha. Great blog

    Rosa
    http://glossytemptations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your payments will not only get to you faster but it
    will provide you with a history of your earnings for your records.
    ' The picture is just as worrying for youngsters - by 2010, it's predicted
    22 per cent of girls and 19 per cent of boys between the ages of two and 15 will be obese, with girls under 11 at particular risk.
    Remember; there is a difference between a fattening diet
    and a healthy diet.

    Look into my web site http://www.taobemquero.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, before you play, make sure you stretch the muscles used in swinging your golf club.
    It is important that you realise that if you do miss one of your exercise sessions it
    is not the end of the world. Yet, before you can get to this point,
    you first have to make a start.

    my page: guide2oz.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Along with the stories about celebrities and other things, you will find many different stories about regular
    people and people who have made the news for many different reasons.
    Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris.
    With this online store you need not worry about being fooled because the site is accorded security.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage: hiphopbootycall.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now people can watch all that they want to in a number of clicks.
    This trend brings more enthusiast people to upload the beautiful funny videos to share with others and get their precious feedback.
    therefore no worries and suspend with a correct approach of chat and fun together with your loved ones.


    Also visit my site: Going in alpinegreenliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, all the time i used to check web site posts here in the early hours in the morning, since i love to find out more
    and more.

    Feel free to visit my weblog ... Highly recommended Web-site

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having read this I believed it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and leaving
    comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

    my web page articleservant.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I have a question: is there a difference between using extra virgin olive oil and regular olive oil? And is there also a difference between using regular dish soap as opposed to hand soap?

    ReplyDelete